With the ups and downs associated with repairing or restoring an automobile, it can be daunting, on any level. Even with a huge budget, there are a ton of decisions to make, some of which need to be made quickly on the spot. Going into a build knowing that you don't have a budget or won't be spending much on the restoration, you would think would make it a lot easier to decide on things, but there are still plenty of factors that can steer you along. For instance, trying to find an under-dash heater control cable quickly became nervewracking when I realized that a), this part is not readily available through local parts stores, making it difficult to find in the first place, and b), if I do manage to find one, it's going to be expensive as hell. My solution? Forget about it til (almost)winter. This cable activates the heater door, so its not essential that I have it to run the vehicle. Now, likely I will forget about it until I really need it on a cold day, but that's how that goes.
I totally understand that the van needs a lot to make it 'perfect' again. I get it. But, I also know how much I am willing to spend on it to make it reliable, and it ain't much. I feel like I've spent more than I wanted to already, replacing fuel pump, tune-up, little parts here and there, it all adds up. All of this has really made me think hard about where I am going with this project. Colorado is where I'd like to go (haha, little jokey), but seriously, I have had to decide on how little I can get away with, and still achieve my overall goal with the van.
 |
All these parts in the seat add up to too much spent. Time to be thrifty and bargain hunt.
|
 |
| Can't afford new side marker lights right now, so I must keep the rain out somehow. |
 |
The fuel gauge didn't work, so I pulled the tank and found the sender above loaded with gunk. I can't afford a new one for $65, so I cleaned the original, and it should work. Forgot to take pics of it after I cleaned it, but it looked new-ish.
|
 |
| New terminals, custom cables built by me, and the battery is 'borrowed' from my El Camino. No more connection/current issues. I had all the parts except for the new battery terminals, so I only spent $4 here. |
So, I recently went to a local (50 miles away) Pick-N-Pull on an unrelated assignment, and was astonished at how many valuable (and cheap) van parts awaited me for this vanly resurrection. I mean, they had EVERYTHING I was looking for! Not necessarily parts I needed for the drivability part of this quest, just things I might buy for it if I had the money. There were chrome bumpers in perfect condition, reciever hitch, side marker lenses, overhead caps, custom wooden-trimmed interior pieces, this was a gold mine. Suddenly, I realized there was more hope for our no-budget camper van. I may actually be able to fit a little style or personality into this mutha.
 |
Chrome bumper in great shape for $50. Not a necessity, but someday, maybe.
|
 |
| For $10, a person could add some security to the back windows... |
 |
| This one was in amazing shape and it runs and drives. Anybody looking to get into vanning should check the salvage yards first, they may offer a cheap introduction. |
 |
| Look at all this neat stuff I could incorporate into my van if I were ambitious. The Pick-N-Pulls here sell these parts dirt cheap, even the leather seats. |
 |
| This conversion cap would add some creature comfort and storage to the van. Maybe one day down the road... |
 |
| Looky here. This van had a whole set of 'custom' side marker lights. For $20, these would fix my water leak problem. |
 |
| This van had a whole bunch of good parts to give. |
 |
| And of course, the 'Gucci Man's Jaguar' was spotted at the Pick-N-Pull. What an elegant waste of money. |
I was glad to have found a couple more resources for my van project, resources that will not cost me much. With a little careful planning I can finish patching this thing back together, and not have it looking like a hooptie. Ultimately, my overall goals for the van have not changed, more like they have been enhanced, now knowing I can find a few decent replacement parts for cheap. It means a little more labor, pulling these parts off the donor vehicles myself, but that's what I'm all about. Satisfaction of having it done right while saving a lot of money is great.
Tonight I will try to finish rebuilding the carburetor, then install the spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor. All that should make this van run like new. I have already replaced all the fuel lines, fuel pump, replaced battery terminals and cables, so the van is almost ready to drive. Today I got two tires at the Pick-N-Pull for $15 apiece, so I won't have to worry about the one going flat 10 minutes after I air it up. The new tires are Goodyear Wranglers with decent tread and good overall shape. I picked out knobby, 6-ply tires for the back of the van so I wouldn't have any problems driving the van right to the river bank to fish and camp, in as remote locations as I can find. I can't wait. I have been filming video journals from the van during storms lately, getting a feel for the adventures to come. Van dwelling, here we come...
 |
| Working late towards goals, camp lantern helping me see to solder... |
No comments:
Post a Comment